You may have suffered from a situation when you needed to know everything about towing your vehicle. We all have suffered from getting stuck in a place without the ability to get the vehicle going to reach a mechanic’s shop or a place where you can make some repairs on the vehicle. Imagine that you need to tow a truck without the proper knowledge of how to do so. Have you imagined how tough it can be? Now follow the following steps to know exactly how to tow a truck or any kinds of vehicles.
In order to be able to tow a truck or any kind of vehicles, you need to follow the following preparations first.
• You need to find someone who is ready to tow your vehicle; you may need to pay him/her an amount of money to agree especially if you are on the road. Find a vehicle that can tow a truck easily; this means that the towing vehicle must be so powerful. That is why sedan and small vehicles will not be able to tow a truck, a SUV or any kind of large pickup.
• You need to buy a suitable tow strap. It is the best option especially these nylon or polyester straps that have manufactured end loops.
• Chains and links are kind of dangerous. Chains can be used if you are going to tow your vehicle for a short distance and links may break.
2. The Process of towing:
Now we are going to tow a truck or any kind of vehicles. Here are steps to follow for doing towing properly.
• Find the best place to attach the tow strap. When car companies manufactured suspension components, they were not meant to pull pressure so hooking the vehicle is kind of dangerous. Metal components may have your strap cut so the best thing is to find a rounded frame or some kind of front bumper support along with the strap.
• Make sure to check steering, warning lights and the brakes of the vehicle and be sure that they are functioning.
• If the engine is not working, then the dolly is the best option you have.
• Inspect your towing connections. Discuss the signals with the driver of the towing vehicle.
• Choose a road that is not crowded and plan the route with the driver.
3. General Tips:
The following tips should be followed especially if you are about to tow a truck or any kind of heavy vehicles.
• The vehicle should be put in neutral before starting towing. Disengaging the parking brake is important too.
• The foot brake should be hold until the towing vehicle start working.
• Make the other drivers on the road know that your vehicle is towed by putting a spotter flag on the vehicle.
• Use the brake slightly if the towing vehicle slowed down.
• Use the lights well to notify the other drivers on the road that your vehicle is being towed. It is important to be aware of the road in order to avoid any kind of surprises.